Saturday, May 4, 2013

My General Workout Plan

A lot of people have been asking me what I do for workouts so here it is.

I am not going to a gym currently, just working out at home and using my parents exercise bike and running outside since it is nice most days.


I work out everyday. People claim you need a rest day, I do have days where I cut myself some slack but with the cycle I am on, each muscle group does get a rest day. I find it hard to stick to a fitness regimen if I have off days.
Every other day I do cardio, usually running a mile. Once I can run the mile regularly without stopping at all, or I hit an 8 min mile regardless regularly, I will increase to 1.5 miles (building up distance and aiming for better times as I get stronger) On crappy weather days I'm doing an interval set on the exercise bike where I am struggling decently on the tough parts  for minimum 20 minutes, goal to be an hour, depends on the time I have that day. Cardio is my weakest area, I hate it but it is necessary. On my off cardio days I still try and get moving with at least some hiking or a decently long walk.

Strength training is a 3 day cycle: legs and butt, abs and shoulders, arms and chest.
  • Legs day:

    100 normal body squats (4 sets of 25 soon to be with weights)
    100 lunges (same set up as squats)
    50 heel raises each foot (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2wDwvNNLikU)
    50 back kicks each side - will add ankle weights soon
                   (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=96yV-kx88HI )

    Abs/shoulders:
     
    100 hanging 3 way leg lifts (usually 5 sets of 20)

        (h
    ttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z3IlzT1WcAE- ideally you want to get knees to your chest
    20 (soon to be 30) shoulder pull ups (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rdaOhG2ABhg)
    P90x- Ab ripper X video
    R
    everse crunches added this week, I haven't maxed those out to see how many yet
  • Arms/chest day:

    20 reps each of 3 different kinds of pull ups- wide arm, chin up (palms face me), and neutral grip
              Generally I get cocky and try to do about 5 1-handed pull ups each arm too.
    30 push ups (military style)
    40 bicep curls each arm *
    40 tricep kick backs each arm *
              (
    http://www.fitlink.com/exercise?type=free+weight&exercise=tricep+kickback)
    20 extend straight forward like a slow punch *
    20 chest flys *
                   * = (using a weight that is comfortable but takes work)

    30 push downs (push ups on your back)
           
  • On top of all of this, I am also in a build up fitness challenge for may which is the following schedule: (I do the stated time for standard, left and right side planks)

No comments:

Post a Comment